Sunday, March 10, 2013

My 2013 T&F Wish List

Every year I sit and take a close look at what happen the previous year in T&F. I then go, "You know what...I wish this that and blah blah blah." I thought that I might share a few of my thoughts this year. I hope no one takes this personal and I want to say before I even finish that I am a fan of everyone that I am about to say something about so take positively.

Jeshua Anderson
Coming out of college this guy showed much talent and I thought he was about to take over. Not quite sure why it didnt happen that way but he is still early in the game. This young man is strong, fast and seems to have his stride pattern down to a science. If healthy and ready to run, he should be dangerous. I think he just needs a little more speed/turnover work. Be quicker over the hurdles. Get back to the grown.


Francena McCorory
One question...How long must this powerful sprinter run low 50 in the 400m before someone looks at her and works on "how she runs"? She reminds me of Lee Evans when I see her run. Yeah its fast, yeah she one of the best but I think this young lady could be "The Best". She has way too much wasted motion when she runs. I remember that sub 49 split she laid down at Penn Relays running down Allyson. This woman is R...A...W! No fear of anyone on the track. Fix the form and you fix a medalist.


Johnny Dutch
I first heard about Dutch when I moved to NC. He was making a name for himself in high school at the time. Then he went on to USC and had continued success. Made the Olympic team in 2008 and looked ready to take it to another level in 2010 at USA nationals. I didnt hear too much after that though. This guy has talent! One problem with him though...Why hasnt he learned that if he hurdles with his "LEFT" leg the majority of the race that he will run faster, easier and more consistent? Left leg around the first turn cuts down distance you have to travel.


T'erea Brown
She has been a beast in everything she chose to run since I can remember but to me, she has never seemed to understand the race. At least when I watch her run I dont see her understanding"rhythm". She takes her races out too hard and fast but then seems to sometimes struggle coming over the last 2-3 hurdles. Now she has very good technique being that she has run the 100H well, but I would like to see her back off the gas a little bit or maybe try to open up her stride with those long legs she was blessed with and maybe try 14 steps in between a few hurdles. I know a few females that are around 5'4 and take 15 steps. Think about that...


Queen Harrison
She is probably the best combo hurdler right now. Thing is...who cares about doing both if you not making a team in either? No one! I went to school with a few of her sisters so I heard good things about her years ago. She is another that has talent to do whatever she wants, but I havent met one hurdler that hasnt had to choose to be great in my life. I want her to choose one and leave the other alone. If/When she does, depending on what would choose (*cough* 400 hurdles *cough*) I think she would be contending for a medal.



Walter Dix
This is the guy who I thought was about to take over the sprints, well at least in the USA since Jamaica has a bunch of Supermen over there. He sure enough has the talent to contend with the best in the world . Matter fact, he has proved that already. He has medals and has been on teams. Changing coaches wasnt a surprise to me. When I saw the look on his face after Blake ran that 19.2, I said to myself, "Yeah he pissed." Going to John Smith seemed to be a good move and he was running well but then he got hurt. This year, I just hope he gets his drive phase down to or close to perfection and stays healthy. I believe he has 9.7 in him.

Ginne Crawford
Name me a hurdler that has been touched by Bobby Kersey that doesnt have a medal? Yup...she is the only one that I know of. I keep waiting for her to have that break out year but I havent seen it yet. I thought she was about to tear stuff up when she came out of college but she has only stay consistently "good". Can we get the 06-07 Ginnie back please? Power, speed, yeah she had both like many others did not. Maybe this year she can put things back together.

1 comment:

mike jones said...

...Very insightful, I would like to hear more of your thoughts,...How can anyone be offended ???...I only wish I had more talent & better coaching when I ran track !!!